The Bullet Catch

Author: Amy Axelrod

AR Level: 4.8

Miss Library Lady Rating: 3 out of 5 stars

Leo is a thief!

What else is he supposed to do in 20th Century New York after the orphanage he lives in burns down?  He has no family, other than 3 other boys whom he befriended while at the orphanage.  3 of the boys are of age to sent off to be apprentices the other would be sent to another orphanage but they don’t want to be split up.  So, what other choice to they have?  Live the life of thieves, picking pockets to make it through each day until they catch a big break.

Leo is fascinated with magic!

When he gets an opportunity to see Harry Houdini be hoisted up while being restrained in a straight jacket and somehow free himself, Leo takes the chance to do his own magic making other men’s wallets disappear.  Leo finds a write up for a newspaper ad, the Great Barzini is looking for a magician’s apprentice.  Maybe now he can get away from his current life and live honestly.  Can Leo get the job even though he doesn’t know magic?

BETRAYAL

LIES

MURDER

Can Leo turn his life around?  Can he run away from his dark past?  Or is the lowly life of thievery all Leo will ever know?

2 thoughts on “The Bullet Catch

• Samuel, That’s great to know, I may be able to recommend some other titles for you if you need. I hope my blog will continue to help you get ideas on what to read.